Author: Vi vE
This is a simple and easy focaccia recipe, a mixer is used to knead the dough as it cuts out lots of time. You can knead it and you would have to spend about 15 minutes doing this where the mixer is used. If you like some arm work then this recipe definitely worth it. Serve with a salad for a delicious lunch.
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1 small Red Onion
- Tsp of dry Oregano
- Tsp of dry Basil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- Fresh Basil for decoration (optional)
- 3 ½ cups (500g) bread flour
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 2 tsp salt flakes
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 300ml warm water
- 2 Tbps olive oil
Prep and roast your veggies – slice peppers and onions long ways, and half the cherry tomatoes. Add oil, salt, pepper and oregano & basil and put in the oven at 180c. These normally take about 45 mins as the liquids need to come out of the veggies so to not make your bread soggy. Let them cool slightly before putting on the bread.
Dough – The prep time for the dough is 10 mins approx
Split the dough into 2, or you can have one big focaccia – the choice is yours! :-)
- Attach the flat beater to the stand mixer. Combine the flour, yeast, salt, sugar in the bowl. Mix on speed 2 to combine.
- Add the water and the oil and mix until mixture just comes together.
- Change to dough hook, knead on speed 1 or 2 for 5 minutes or until soft and smooth. Roll into a ball with lightly floured hands.
- Place into an oiled bowl, cover with a clean tea towel or plastic wrap and prove 1 – 1 ¼ hours or until nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease a baking tray, I lay grease proof paper and a tsp of olive oil to coat.
- Roll into a circular shape around approx 9 inch diameter (if you are doing 2 focaccia). Top with the cooled roast veggies. Drizzle with a Tsp of olive oil and add extra herbs. Some people let it prove before this but I just pop it straight in the oven and it comes out great!
- Bake 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 190C and bake a further 10 minutes or until golden brown.