The lovely Jalisha is a blogger based in the Netherlands who makes yummy, nutritious and delicious recipes for the masses! Her blog has an extensive range of recipes ranging from meals to dips and breads. Check it out!
Author: Jalisha J
5 Cloves of Garlic
A thumb size piece of Ginger
3 Star anise
3 Cinnamon sticks
3 litres of veg stock
2 Tbsp of Soy Sauce
170g of Rice noodles
1 head of Pak Choi
100g of shiitake mushrooms
A couple Mint leaves
Small handful of fresh coriander
2 stalks of Spring Onion
1 Red Chilli
1) Peel and quarter the onions. Peel the garlic cloves and cut them in half.
Cut the ginger into slices. Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms and slice them.
2) In a large pot on low heat, add the cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves. Leave them until they become fragrant. This should take around 2 minutes.
Then add the ginger, onion and garlic and stir until they are lightly charred.
3) Add the vegetable broth and the shiitake mushrooms and let it come to a boil. Once boiling, add the soy sauce and simmer for at least an hour.
4) While the broth is simmering, bring another pot of water to a boil and cook the bok choy until soft. Bring a kettle to a boil and pour this over the noodles in a bowl. Once soft, drain and set aside.
5) Slice the chilli and spring onions at an angle and set aside, this is garnish for later. Other garnishes I used are: lime, bean sprouts, mint and coriander but you can choose other vegetables and garnish accordingly.
6) After at least an hour of simmering, spoon out the onion, garlic, ginger and the spices. The shiitakes should be spooned out separately because this will be the garnish as well.